Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Prius Rocks

I have become fond of my new silver Toyota Prius. I was concerned initially with the 45 mpg mileage it was showing. But last week i took the car for a longer drive in the city and man, that car ROCKS
It clocked 55 MPG.
The best part is you can monitor the average on the screen and adjust your driving according to the display. On the down side, if you become too obsessed with the mileage and keep monitoring the screen you may end up bumping someone in the front :)

Toyota off course claims a 60MPG in cities and 50MPG on highways. [Yes its inverse in Prius and not a typo on my part]. On highways and high speed it uses more fuel, on the other hand in cities, it uses lesser fuel and more electricity.
The current gas price at my place is 3.30 $/galon roughly. Last week i refilled my gas tank to full and guess what? I got that click sound in just 8.8 galons. Obviously for fuel efficient car, the gas tank has to be smaller. And smaller it was.

Gone are the days when i filled 15galons in my old SUV and still managed no more than 300 miles per full tank.

Coming back to Prius. I like the interiors too. The drivers seat has enough leg room apart from the control it has on the wheel. The front view is not all that great from the driver's seat as my reference point is still my old SUV which gave me a clearer view. The pickup is not that great either. But that would be expected trait.
Also the smart key option helps. I can keep the keys in my pocket and not worry.

Here's my small little contribution to Going Green. Well not *little* really, as it cost me over 22K in greens. But as long as i can help make this world less dependant on the Middle East oil, i am ok :)

Hoping for a day when we are totally independent of the oil that funds 7-11.


No comments: