Monday, May 22, 2006

Musings

Kerela did not let me down. My recent "official" trip to Kerela was some sort of a personal landmark. I enjoyed every bit. From the royal treatment at the Taj Residency, Ernakulam to the extra-ordinary hospitality of our vendor, i was floored by all the largesse.
I should have planned my trip a little better though. I did go to Kumarkom 'back-waters' and Alleppy, but in hind sight a trip at Wayanad to meet my friend Sunder would have been more fruitful. I did meet Sunder though, but at Anand-Ashram in a place called Kanahangad [for some strange reason it is pronounced Kanjangad]
Sunder Iyer was a revelation. And so was Kerela's spicy food. I always thought hot food was not an issue with me until i landed in a "soup" quite literally at the Taj. I just could not complete my hot and sour soup. It was so spicy.
The city of Cochin left much to the desire. It's non-existing infrastructure left a bad taste. Off course the fact that Kerela has been ruled by Communists for many years did it make it obvious to me after seeing the total lack of civic amenities at a place of such high importance.
It is a tribute to the hard work of Kerelites that Kerela not only survives but thrives inspite of Communism [ and not because of it, as Arundati Roy would like us to believe].
Also, the petro-dollars from middle-east have played a major role in Kerela's economy, a fact that not even Amartaya Sen can deny. [Sen usually alludes to Kerela model to buttress his thesis]
The progress made on human index in Kerela, though cannot be denied. And here one should complement the Communists, or the work done by them in earlier days. The literacy level is way higher than any other state. Even my driver, who came to pick me up every day, was so well spoken and educated. One of the waiters who served me at Taj, told me he was pursuing Computer courses parallely. He had just completed his MCom. It was good and bad. Good that even a waiter was so educated, bad because he was still a waiter.

Cochin airport was nice and very decent. Also very clean, unlike the Delhi airport. I thought some bus depots in Mumbai were cleaner than Delhi airport. That airport really needs a face lift, and can do without Sitaram Yechuri's interference.


My handy cam really came handy. I shot Kumarom,Alleppy,Cochin and Kanhandgad. The Antherepelly water falls were grand so was the royal bathing of the elephants at Kakkanad. Brian, who was with me for first few days, could not have enough of that fun.

On the whole Kerela scored very high on food, hospitality and relaxation. I wouldn't blink if i am asked to go again.

No comments: